These days, people don’t seem to take a lot of pride in their Halloween costumes.
No offense, but I’ve already seen enough evil clowns and Harley Quinns to last me a lifetime. And the same goes for Elsa and Anna. Back in the day, kids couldn’t just walk into a costume shop and find the perfect mask or accessories. If they wanted to go trick-or-treating, they had to get creative…and what they came up with was beyond terrifying.
These 20 vintage Halloween costumes will make you really glad you weren’t handing out candy or walking around at night 50 years ago.
1. I’m not sure what’s creepier, this kid or the pit of blackness behind him.
2. Schoolkids from 1943 or a horde of demons? You decide.
3. “Come along, Martha! We’ll never find a husband with you dillydallying!”
4. That’s not a Halloween costume — it’s the Devil.
5. This kid looks like he just crawled out of “American Horror Story.”
6. “Come and play with us, Danny.”
7. I imagine this was taken right before they murdered their teachers.
8. When your mom forgets to buy you a costume and you have to go as a stalk of corn.
9. They look like they want to eat my soul more than my Reese’s.
10. If I opened my door and saw this, I’d run.
11. Is that a mom or a serial killer?!
12. There’s so much going on in this picture and none of it’s good.
13. Creepy mask? Check. Creepy neighborhood? Double check.
14. This is one couple’s costume I can definitely get behind.
15. Even the spawn of Satan likes to trick-or-treat.
16. I can’t even begin to comprehend what’s going on here.
17. This abomination makes the nurses from “Silent Hill” seem friendly.
18. You can’t tell me that kid in the middle is not a vampire.
19. Um, does anyone else see the dead grandma?
20. That’s it, I’m done.
I was planning to hand out candy, but now I’m going to lock my doors and turn out the lights!