It seems like just yesterday that we were sitting in our cubicles daydreaming about all the fun adventures we had planned for the summer months ahead.
With summer officially coming to a close, I’m left wondering where the time went. Fall will be here before we know it, and it’s bringing with it a seemingly endless list of things that need to be done at home. As the temperatures begin to drop and the days grow shorter, it’s important that we all tackle these chores as quickly as possible!
To help you get ready, here’s the ultimate fall-prep list.
1. Drain your garden hoses and detach them from your outdoor water lines.
2. Clean your gardening tools and store them away until next spring.
3. Give your swimming pool one last cleaning before closing it for the season.
4. Spruce up your hedges and shrubs by giving them a fall trimming.
5. Avoid future drainage problems by clearing out leaves and loose debris caught in your gutters.
6. Stock up on gasoline, and if you use oil to heat your home, get that in order ASAP.
7. Remove your window air conditioning units or prepare your central air units for their off season.
8. Clean out any debris that might have accumulated in your fireplace and chimney.
9. Now is the perfect time to start stocking up on firewood to help heat your home during the winter months.
10. Dust your house from floor to ceiling and eliminate any pesky cobwebs.
11. Repair any window screens that may have been damaged over the summer to cut back on repairs next year.
12. Rid your medicine cabinet of any expired medications or ones that you no longer take. That’ll clear up space for all the cold and flu meds coming your way.
13. Replace the batteries in all your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
14. Fall is the perfect time to go through your kitchen cabinets and clean out any containers missing lids. (That’ll make school mornings much less of a hassle.)
15. Set a timer and give yourself 15 minutes to clean out as much junk as you can from your bedroom.
16. Take your stockpile of newspapers and magazines to your local recycling center.
17. Why not go through all your summer shoes and decide which ones can last you another year and which ones should be donated to Goodwill?
18. Before you consider making a trip to your local makeup supplier, clean out your beauty supplies and see if you really need that extra blush for fall.
19. During the summer months, your freezer can become a bit cluttered, so why not give that a proper cleaning as well?
20. Your kids can join in on the fall prep, too! Have them go through their toys and donate what they don’t need so they can make room for holiday gifts in the winter.
21. And while you’re in the cleaning mood, give your pantry and spice rack a bit of an organizational overhaul.
22. Get ahead of the mess by shampooing your carpets in preparation for all the spills and red wine stains associated with fall parties.
23. And since you’re cleaning out every other room in the house, you might as well clean out the garage, too.
Well now that I’ve compiled this list, I’m realizing how much work I have ahead of me. There goes all my free time!